Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Article: Bungy Jumpers Excite Duffy

Bungy-jumpers excite Duffy

By VICKI ANDERSON, stuff.co.nz

Welsh soul sensation Duffy (Aimee Duffy to her mum) is screaming. Yes, she is delighted to be performing her first shows in New Zealand but the screaming relates to the view outside the window of her Auckland hotel room.

"Somebody is jumping from the next building. It's quite scary, I thought we had a suicide on our hands this morning but apparently you Kiwis do this sort of thing for kicks," she laughed.

"I feel a bit guilty; it's my first time here and I just got given a disc for selling three times platinum."

The Grammy-award winner plays in Wellington tonight and at the Christchurch Town Hall tomorrow.

Her debut album Rockferry, the biggest-selling album in Britain in 2008 containing the hit singles Mercy, Rockferry and Warwick Avenue, has sold millions worldwide.

It recently earned Duffy three Brit Awards, including the Best British Award.

The 24-year-old star admitted she used to find fame difficult to deal with but these days was keeping everything in perspective.

"I'm making music, not sending the first rocket into space. I just get on with it."

After her tour, her main priority was to have a holiday.

"I'm going to take a bit of time to be human for a while.

"I would like to go spend some time with my cats and stay in my pyjamas all day or something."

She can also look forward to having a type of daffodil named after her, called the Duffydil.

"It's being named after me and they're planting them on Warwick Avenue.

"I think that is such a lovely legacy and a great honour."

Another scream is heard down the phone line.

"Did you hear that? It's another jumper. Personally, I'd rather have my own flower than leap off a tall building."

No comments: