Saturday, June 7, 2008

07 Jun: Daily Star - DUFFY GETS DOWN AND DIRTY

This today from the Daily Star.

DUFFY GETS DOWN AND DIRTY


DUFFY has vowed never to become a Mariah Carey-style diva or sacrifice her friends and social life for work.

The 23-year-old mega-piped popstrel’s fame is soaring. She is currently No3 in the UK singles charts with Warwick Avenue and has also smashed into the US Top 10 with debut album Rockferry.

But the Welsh wonder told me she will rought it at Glasto and said: “I’m trying not to let any of this change my life.

“The other night I was thinking about what I want from life. It sounds really basic and sad but I just want to eat good food, hang out with my friends and laugh until I cry.

“If I have to be up at 6am for work there’s a good chance I’ll be out till 3am. I could deprive myself and become completely anal but what would be the point?

“I want to balance my career with life, friends, mistakes.

She added: “I went out the other night and a bunch of lads said I looked like Duffy. I had to sing Mercy to them to prove it was me.

“You have to have a laugh. The record industry has changed. It’s all about being real these days because people discover you for themselves without all the marketing hype.

“No-one tells me what to say at my record label. I’ve never had media training.

“No-one’s gonna write my biography and no-one tells me what I have to wear or how to do my hair. It’s literally just me.”

And the down-to-earth singer reveals she’s put her foot down when it comes to VIP treatment.

She explained: “My label has booked me a room in a posh hotel for when I go to Glastonbury, but I’m going to do it properly on principle. I’m gonna pitch up a tent and explore.

“I’ll never be one of those artists who take security and an entourage with them.

“I’d hate a big man following me around – I’d be like: ‘Aaargh, back off. I wanna pull.’” And that’s why we like her.

No comments: