Monday, September 1, 2008

1 Sep: Duffy reveals secret bunny girl gig

The below article appeared here today:

Duffy reveals secret bunny girl gig

by ANDREW WILLIAMS - Monday, September 1, 2008

Warbling Welsh wonder Aimee Duffy, 24, has wowed the world with her Dusty Springfield-esque vocal stylings, selling crateloads of her debut album, Rockferry, which was musically masterminded by ex-Suede guitarist Bernard Butler. The wholesome alternative to Amy Winehouse keeps releasing singles from the record; the latest, Stepping Stone, is out now.

What’s the new single about?
Unrequited love, unfortunately. He still doesn’t know I fancied him so I wrote a song about it.

Are you unlucky in love?
I’ve rolled the dice quite a few times and the statistics haven’t been good.

What was the first record you bought?
It was an Ultimate Kaos single. I had a massive crush on one of them. They awakened my female hormones. I was about ten. It was quite shallow – for aesthetic rather than musical reasons. The first proper record I got was Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On. I was about 18. It amazed me.

What’s the worst gig you’ve ever done?
I was in a covers band when I was 16. We turned up to do a birthday party and they asked us to get dressed up as bunny girls. That was embarrassing. It was in North Wales in front of about 250 people.

What was the first song you wrote?
The first one I wrote from some form of experience was about a girl in the area who’d been killed. I was 13 and wrote a song about her mum called Mrs Brown. It was such a big story in our area and so awful. I never shared my music with my family, I wasn’t the sort of kid to get up and say: ‘Listen to this.’ I never played it to anyone.

What’s working with Bernard Butler like?
Fascinating and fun. We take the p*** out of each other, which is important in a partnership. Music can be so emotional and intense, you need to ease that with a bit of humour.

How old were you when Suede were successful?
About ten. I can vaguely remember them. I was embarrassed when I met him because I didn’t recall any of his stuff. I just about remember Beautiful Ones, that’s about it.

What are your pet musical hates?
Things like the Crazy Frog or Bob the Builder. Those novelty songs really piss me off. I know they’re for kids and I should be more forgiving but I can’t tolerate all that breezing through the airwaves.

What’s the most random story you’ve heard about yourself?
I’ve heard that Tom Jones and Shakin’ Stevens are both my dad. And apparently I was raised in a mud hut and had never heard music until I was 18.

What have you spent the money on?
I’m still waiting for my wages, I haven’t been paid yet. The most lavish time I’ve had was when I was working in London and they booked a suite for me in a hotel. It was amazing. The hot tub in the bathroom was the size of a medium Starbucks. You could swim in it. I got in there with some friends and champagne.

What was the bust-up with Johnny Rotten all about?
He was intoxicated and I was overly friendly – it’s as simple as that. I didn’t go home crying with my lunchbox and my award, like a bullied kid at school. I just walked past him and got stung by his strange temper. I’m aware you have to be careful but my guard was down.

Is he the rudest pop star you’ve met?
No, I’ve met a few but then you meet lovely people too. The Kaiser Chiefs and The Ting Tings are great. They’re always in the beer tent at festivals having a good laugh.

Have you got any secret tricks for preserving your voice?
No, I’m going to learn the hard way. I sing for an hour every day in the live shows. I guess we’ll find out if my technique’s OK or not in time…

When was the last time you got so drunk you threw up?
When I was doing South By Southwest in Texas. My last memory of the evening is riding down the street in a rickshaw and pulling the backpack off some poor innocent bloke. I was a nightmare. I should have behaved myself. I got back to the hotel and it wasn’t pretty…

What’s your favourite drink?
Guinness and black [blackcurrant cordial] or vodka and ginger ale.

What’s the best thing about coming from Wales?
Welsh lamb, the green, green grass of home and the up-for-it vibe. Everyone’s up for enjoying themselves. We all speak Welsh at home. If I’m out with my sister in London we can talk to each other in Welsh and have our own secret language.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Drivel as an introduction again.

Butler didn't "musically mastermind" the album - he produced only four tracks out of the ten. And always the Winehouse "alternative" gibberish.

Tis but a small paragraph by this buffoon Williams but a big dismal fail grade. Must do better, boy.