Monday, March 3, 2008

3 Mar: Rockferry Album CD Released Today in UK


The album cover photo was taken on the Ffestiniog Railway, like other photos in Duffy's music artwork.

Duffy's album Rockferry was released on CD today (Vinyl follows at the end of the month).
This review (by the CD Times) called her shrill and 'wasn't won over'. Let's see about how the nation feels about that now the album is out. Similarly Metro only gave it 3/5. i think maybe these reviewers didn't bother to listen to the album properly.
The only uneasy track I found on the album at first was Serious (the intro backing singing didn't seem to fit right, but now the song has grown on me so I have no complaints). If one was going to be really critical you could apply the Metro reviewer's concerns about inexperience to "I'm Scared" - the song is just a little too jolly for the sentiments portrayed (it is about losing a lover to death, not a break-up as Duffy explained in that Sun article). But so what - it doesn't make the music any less I don't think.

To be honest this album is the first one I have EVER owned that I don't reach over to skip a track. I am quite picky about my music and everyone who I think is superb (Aguilera, Keys, Winehouse) has a track on their album that I wish to skip on the CD or delete from my iPod.... apart from Duffy.

Rockferry album details:
CD
Release date: 3-3-2008
Catalogue Number: 1756423
Label: POLYDOR

Vinyl
Release date: 31 Mar 2008
Catalogue Number:B0015RB72W
Label: Polydor

Track Listings
1. Rockferry
2. Warwick Avenue
3. Serious
4. Stepping Stone
5. Syrup And Honey
6. Hanging On Too Long
7. Mercy
8. Delayed Devotion
9. I'm Scared
10. Distant Dreamer

You can get a taste of the album from this playlist on youtube.
1. Rockferry

2. Warwick Avenue

3. Serious

4. Stepping Stone

5. Syrup And Honey

6. Hanging On Too Long

7. Mercy

8. Delayed Devotion

9. I'm Scared

10. Distant Dreamer

No comments: